Players Online

Edit Griefing Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanSean98

IGN: Seanijoye

Suggestion Location: Server

Suggestion Description:

Change the rules to allow grief outside of claimed area (town claims)

Currently there are 3 rules against griefing.
▫ If you did not place it, do not break it, add to it, or edit in any form without permission.
▫ Do not build or destroy within 5 chunks (80 blocks) of another player’s build without permission.
▫ Do not destroy, alter or deface the environment of the main world except for building purposes. To mine or gather resources, go to the resource world. (/rtp)
Hypothetical Situation 1
Assuming player A built a base at Y=6, it is impossible for player B to know this.
Player B proceeds to build a very good-looking town above the base of player A.
As per the rules that town would be in violation with the ruleset.

I suggest that the ruleset be modified to only apply to Town Claims:
▫ Looting items from unclaimed terrains or containers is allowed.
▫ Do not modify terrain or structures within 5 chunks (80 blocks) of a town claim.
▫ Do not destroy, alter or deface the environment of the main world except for building purposes. To mine or gather resources, go to the resource world. (/rtp)
This modification will allow anyone to check if land was claimed (/towny map big) without being in violation with the rules.
Towns/Nations will serve a bigger purpose if the rules reflect the proper use of the towny plugin.

RedSeb321

Staff
Staff member
Hi :)

Our strict anti-grief policies are, in my opinion, a great feature of the server and I know that many people choose to play on Zaluria because of them. It allows people to build freely without worrying about grief, and from my experience, a grief-free server makes for a better and more constructive community.

I would personally be very disappointed if the grief rules were altered to allow grief anywhere, and it is not something we’re planning to do.

Regarding your example, if a player is planning to build somewhere but is unsure whether something is below or around, they can ask staff for clarification. If what you mentioned happened (which I don’t think it has yet), staff would be able to help with the particular situations, and the players involved could probably make an internal agreement.

Additionally, town claims cost money, both to purchase and “maintain”, so if one could only safely build in town claims, there would be large costs just to protect your private builds, which we are not interested in.

Friendly Regards,
RedSeb321

SeanSean98

Regarding your example, if a player is planning to build somewhere but is unsure whether something is below or around, they can ask staff for clarification. If what you mentioned happened (which I don’t think it has yet), staff would be able to help with the particular situations, and the players involved could probably make an internal agreement.
It is impractical to ask staff to check every single area someone want to build in.
Hence the suggestion that will allow players to check it by themselves via a simple built-in command from the towny plugin.

As for internal agreement between players.
One might not be as active as others, which could lead to an agreement being proposed/reached after days, weeks or even months.

Additionally, town claims cost money, both to purchase and “maintain”, so if one could only safely build in town claims, there would be large costs just to protect your private builds, which we are not interested in.
Indeed you are right, that would have been my second suggestion in case this one would have been implemented.
You could decrease the price for town claims and perhaps even increase the amount of claimblocks received by a single player from 8 to 10.
This would instantly solve your problem of having, allowing town claims to be affordable and maintainable.

I would personally be very disappointed if the grief rules were altered to allow grief anywhere, and it is not something we’re planning to do.
As I'm sure will be discussed in a staff chat of some sort.
I can only hope that Staff would consider to look into this modification of the rules.

Wolfhound1

Manager
Staff member
Staff Manager
Sorry, but we will never allow griefing under any circumstances - our server is proudly anti-grief, this includes non claimed land too. Players should not feel like they are required to use towny to protect their builds, as this leads to dozens of hermit towns created just for the purpose of grief prevention, and doesn't actually contribute to towns created to be small communities within a community. Allowing grief outside of claimed areas often leads to a toxic, unfriendly environments, where people often hunt for unclaimed builds to raid, and is more factions-esque than sticking to the idea of a more friendly towny server.

When you are building, you must ensure that there is nobody near you by using F3 + G and exploring 5 chunks around where you plan to build. If you find a build that appears abandoned, and you want to build within 5 chunks of it, you can request a staff member take a look and see if it is eligible for removal due to prolonged inactivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.